Sunday, January 26, 2014

Happy Hippos!


During the end of the summer last year I discovered the Happypotamas crochet pattern by Heidi Bears and fell in love with the idea of making my own Happy Hippo. I bought the pattern and was quickly overwhelmed by the amount of hexagons and pentagons that were needed, but I picked up my hook-n-yarn and decided I was going to crochet on! I tried out some different color combinations, but found it difficult to get it just right and so I had to put my Happypotamus pattern away for awhile. Sad, I know... But as it happens I have a beautiful niece who is a talented little dancer and for their final number in her Christmas recital they danced to Gayla Peevey's version of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and guess who wanted a happy hippo of her own. So I raced back to my pattern and pumped out all the many hexagons and pentagons I needed and then came the daunting task of putting them all together. Even though the directions were well written, I still managed to put them together wrong a couple of times and had to take it apart. After rereading the directions I finally got it all put together, stuffed, added eyes and put in a box just hours before it was time for her to open it..
Whew! Talk about last minute gifts. :)

My hippo is very large; she almost took up the whole table!




My niece riding her Happy Hippo :)

This pattern can be purchased from Heidi Bears' website here. She also gives great tutorials on how to achieve success with the many versions of the african flower motif. 


No comments:

Post a Comment